Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Working Hunter Pony Classes

Working Hunter Ponies

WHPs. The classes that are so fun but scary first time ... so here's my tips :)

I've done many working hunter ponies on my Connie and before that on my cob. In the summer I worked with a lovely little welsh mountain pony and entered about 7 WHP classes altogether, winning 4.


First things first, you need to forget pretty much everything you know about normal SJ. WHP and SHP classes are very different, people won't wanna see you messing with strides. You'll need a smooth, forward round to get you the win. Remember, it's not a timed round, nor clear out, it's a happy, bouncy canter with smooth scopey jumps they're looking for. 


Think of it as just cantering around normally in a field, and the horse will take a few jumps in his/her stride. The pace should be steady but forward. Hunters can often be quite lazy ponies, you don't want to be stopping in the ring. While SJ requires a lot of technical skill and planning the strides and lead up to the jump, ideally you want the same stride throughout a WHP class, when jumping and cantering.

You don't wanna be stopping, and don't bother trotting to change lead etc. You should keep to a good hunting pace throughout, no-one cares what leg you're on.
SHP you'll just have to show off your pony pretty much. I've usually been asked to do a figure of 8, though I know some shows prefer a loop around the ring or a D shape. Just keep things simple and you'll be fine. If you're asked to gallop stay in control but give the horse enough rein to really show off his/her paces.
Keep in control in gallop so you can stop ready for the corner to bring out a nice extended trot, however it's not dressage, so just do your best but naturally!


A lot of shows won't give you a set test, so you need to work out how to use the ring to your advantage. I generally do a figure of 8 at trot and canter to show leads and paces off, then a loop with flat out gallop and some trotting in. I generally keep off walk until I take it to and from the middle, it keeps everyone watching.

Work off this:

'In the jumping section, we're looking for a pony that's forward going, fairly effortless, keen, and happy to do a day's hunting safely. In the conformation/show, we're looking for active paces, decent legs, self carriage, conformation according to breed/type, and a little bit of the "look at me" presence every winner needs to stand out.''
^^That's what I tend to work off and I've placed a many wonderful and memorable times Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment